Department of Public Safety

Contacting the Police - Reporting a Crime

If You Witness a Crime on Campus

Timely reporting is often the main factor in solving a crime. If you have witnessed a crime on campus or have information concerning a crime on campus, please contact the Department of Public Safety Police Division or Silent Witness Online

Public Safety dispatchers are trained to obtain the most accurate and complete information possible regarding activities you witness. When contacting Public Safety, please stay on the line until the dispatcher disconnects the call.

The dispatcher will need specific information from you such as:

  • What is the incident?
  • Where is the incident?
  • Who is involved?

Reporting parties should leave a contact number should follow-up be needed. The information is part of the ongoing investigation and is subject to provisions of The Code of Iowa.

Victims of sexual abuse have the additional option of filing an anonymous report with the Coordinator of UNI Sexual Abuse Services; however, the report cannot be used as a basis of a criminal report.

If You Witness a Crime Off-Campus

If you observe a crime off-campus, you should contact the County-wide Consolidated Dispatch at 291-2515 or 911 in emergencies. They will dispatch the appropriate policing agency.

If outside of Cedar Falls, please contact the appropriate law enforcement agency.