Welcome to the University of Northern Iowa & the Department of Public Safety's page for New Students!
It is our sincerest desire to make your transition into the UNI community as smooth as possible.
Below you will find general information regarding campus parking. Here we answer some of your basic, oft asked questions.
Basic rules for parking on campus
Unless using a metered area, all vehicles operating on the UNI campus must register with the Parking Services Office.
Park only in areas valid for your permit or park in a non-visitor metered area. Most lots are restricted from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Read the signs posted at the entrance of each lot.
23rd Street (in front of Lawther, Campbell and Bartlett Halls, UNI Bookstore, etc) Campus Street (adjacent Campbell and Dancer Halls) are City of Cedar Falls controlled streets, not UNI. Do not park on any City street contrary to the posted signage.
All prices are per permit for the remainder of the 2020-2021 academic year.
New for 2020 Permit Ordering: If you have an outstanding balance on your student account, you will not have the ability to select U Bill as a payment method. This is a University policy. All other payment methods are still available.
Once you have a UNI ID number & My UNIverse account…… Back to Top
- Order online now through August 13, 2020 by going to our new Parking Portal. We are using a new system beginning May 4, 2020.
- On your MyUNIverse page, under "Current Announcements" click on the link for the “Parking Permits" announcement.
- Make sure you know your vehicle license plate number. (If the vehicle has no plates issued to it yet, you can still order a permit!). Go to the Permit Ordering: Students, Faculty & Staff 2020 Academic Year page for additional information.
- You can go onto the Parking Portal and add a vehicle even if you are not sure what permit you may need. We'll have your vehicle info on file!
- If there is not a link under “Current Announcements”, the form can be found under the “Life @ UNI” tab. Under the category of “Parking on Campus” click on the “Parking Permit” link.
- Parking permit applications submitted by July 25th will be processed beginning July 27st and billed with tuition in August. If you need to cancel or modify your order, please contact our office.
All parking regulations are enforced during semester breaks, seasonal holidays and during the summer break.
Most areas are posted for a specific permit and/or time limit.
If in doubt, please... don't park!
*CP lots will be treated as C lots during interim periods in addition to the Summer months: the week following spring finals thru the week before fall classes begin.
Parking in lots adjacent to the Residence Halls (C Preferred lots) are restricted to 30 min maximum and NO PARKING from 1 am to 7 am (overnight) during move in August 17-21, 2020. Cp permit holders may start using these lots Saturday Aug 22, 2020.
"M" Permits no longer issued as of Fall 2019.
You cannot park in the metered lot by the Performing Arts Center at any time even if you pay the meters. The lot is for visitors only. Students, faculty & staff are not considered visitors.
All other meters are for your use but you must pay the posted rate and stay no longer than the max time indicated. These vary from 30 minutes to 8 hours.
No overnight parking (1 am-7 am) allowed in any metered lot or stall.
Allowed only in C, C Preferred, and R lots with the appropriate permit. All other areas, lots and stalls are off limits to parking 1 am to 7 am every day of the year.